Wednesday, October 12, 2011

(BC) One life


When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.
Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.
—Steve Jobs, in a 2005 speech

I believe this is very motivational advice by Steve Jobs.  He lived his life to the fullest and became one of the world's greatest philanthropists. I think this is a great piece of advice to live by if you want to get far in life. If you can live life without having the feelings of regret and consequence they could become huge obstacles into getting where you want. He's basically saying live life every day in that moment and don't be afraid to take risks. Each day you would want to do something new and exciting without having those second thought's of maybe I shouldn't or why not tomorrow. Everyone's biggest obstacles is themselves and their doubts. If you could live life without doubting yourself you wouldn't have any trouble in doing what you really want to do.


If I were to wake up and follow advice my life would change immensely. The way I'm living now probably needs to change. I'd be a lot happier, doing the things I like instead of just saying no to anything out of my comfort zone. If I continue to wait for things to happen for me I'll just end up wasting half of my life. Having the mindset that you might day at any moment of the day could change any way a person would live. Just look at how successful Steve Job's became. I probably would've done all the things that I regret never doing. I'd be a much happier person than I am now. Everyday I shouldn't be thinking about the things I didn't do and I should be thinking about all the things I did. If only I could see what's really important and go for it. It reminds me of a line from the book Fight Club I happen to be reading which is 
"This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. ~Chuck Palahniuk"
I wish I could just live a day without any regret it could end good, or end up bad. And that's exactly why I feel like I can't live everyday with taking risks without thinking about the consequences. I always over think about the debt I might have to pay. There isn't a day I don't worry and its usually tons of little things. I doubt myself too much but I'd like to think I've gotten better. It's usually just personal decisions I have trouble making. And since I can't overcome doubt I've have regretted many things I should have done which might've changed my life for the better. I want to have the feeling I won't have anything to lose. I need to stop doubting myself. No more regrets. I only have one life to live so fuck it.

No comments:

Post a Comment